The Everyday Salad Bowl is exactly that! – A salad for EVERYDAY. I am known for eating the same things for dinner every single night for weeks and this salad I never get sick of. I love it because I will normally roast up a big batch of veggies once a week, bake a heap of tofu and make the Ginger-Tahini Sauce in advance so that when dinner comes each night all I have to do is throw everything into a bowl! It is great because you can serve all the veggies and tofu straight out of the fridge without having to re-heat them up. Also a perfect meal to bring to work for lunch! Having a large variety of textures and flavours is really what takes a salad from being boring to AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS. Have fun with it and enjoy eating a crunchy, creamy, hearty and nourishing bowl of YUM.
EVERYDAY SALAD BOWL
- 1 Small Butternut Pumpkin
- 1/2 Cauliflower
- 1 Brown Onion
- 1/2 Iceberg Lettuce
- 2 Large Handfuls Spinach
- 1/4 Purple Cabbage
- 1 Large Handful Alfalfa Sprouts
- 1 Packet Firm Tofu
- Tofu Marinade: 3 Tbsp Tamari, 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice, 1 Tsp Minced Ginger, 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 Tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt + Pepper
- Smooth Ginger-Tahini Sauce
Additional Toppings: Avocado, Cucumber, Pepitas, Sesame Seeds, Sauerkraut
BAKED TOFU METHOD:
- Start by mixing together all the tofu marinade ingredients into a small bowl along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- On a flat surface wrap the tofu in paper towel and using your hands press it down to squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Cut the tofu into cubes, place into a container and pour over the marinade.
- Make sure the tofu is well coated and place in the fridge for at least 20minutes, the longer the better (I like to leave mine in the fridge all day).
- When you are ready, preheat the oven to 180degrees (fan-forced).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the tofu onto it.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20-25minutes until the tofu is golden brown (flip tofu over halfway though cooking).
EVERYDAY SALAD BOWL METHOD:
- Preheat the oven to 200degrees (fan-forced) and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Peel and chop the pumpkin into bite sized chunks and place onto baking tray.
- Chop the cauliflower into bite sized chunks and place onto the other baking tray.
- Peel the onion and cut into quarters, and then eighths. Place with other veggies on the baking trays.
- Drizzle the veggies with coconut oil, sprinkle with cumin and coriander, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss the veggies around until they are all evenly coated.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until lightly golden and soft when pricked with a fork.
- Shred the lettuce or cut in half and thinly slice. Place into a large salad bowl.
- Thinly slice the purple cabbage and put into the salad bowl along with the spinach and alfalfa sprouts.
- Add a little water to the Smooth Ginger-Tahini Sauce to make it more pourable and drizzle over the salad. Toss until the salad is well coated and combined.
- Serve the salad by separating it into bowls and top with the roast veggies, tofu, cucumber, avocado, pepitas, sesame seeds and sauerkraut.
If you would like to see a video tutorial on how to make this salad, check my YouTube channel “Sonja’s Life” by clicking the link below.