I simply HAVE to share my current obsession with you all! Roast vegetable salads. I LOVE them, I love them on the daily. The awesome thing about this salad is that if you already have the quinoa cooked, veggies roasted and cashew hummus in the fridge, you can so quickly and easily toss it all together! Plus, the vegetables I use is simply just a recommendation, you can use any vegetables you have on hand or your favourites. Perfect for those leftover veggies in the bottom of your fridge that you do not know what to do with. I love to make this on a Sunday night and have it for dinner, or work lunches for the rest of the week. Awesome cold, or warmed up. Plus, when you add cashew hummus to the mix, you have yourself a crowd pleaser!
I have served this up for lots of my friends and family and it has always been a winner. Can not go wrong with a warm, hearty, flavourful salad like this! Let me know what you think, and I would love to see your creations, as well as experiments with different vegetables. Send me a picture, or tag me!
ROAST VEGGIE QUINOA SALAD
- 1 Cup White Quinoa
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato
- 1/2 Broccoli
- 1/2 Cauliflower
- 1 Brown Onion
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Large Handful Mixed Salad Leaves
- 1/3 Cup Pine Nuts
- 1 Lemon
- 3 Tbsp Tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or olive oil)
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Power
- Salt & Pepper
- Cashew Hummus
Quinoa Cooking Instructions:
- Rinse the quinoa and place in a medium sized saucepan along with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt.
- Place the saucepan on the stove over a high heat, lid on.
- When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from heat and fluff up the quinoa with a fork to ensure it doesn’t clump together. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (fan-forced).
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into bite sized chunks. Place on baking tray.
- Chop the cauliflower and broccoli into bit sized chunks and place onto baking tray.
- Peel the onion and cut into quarters, and then eighths. Place with other veggies on the baking tray.
- Drizzle the veggies with coconut oil, sprinkle with cumin and coriander, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss the veggies around until they are all evenly coated.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until lightly golden and soft when pricked with a fork.
- Whilst veggies are cooking, it’s time to toast the pine nuts.
- Place pine nuts in a non-stick pan over a medium heat on the stove top. Stir continuously until they turn golden. Takes around 5 minutes. (Warning: Once they begin to brown, the process becomes very quick and can easily burn if you do not keep watch!). Set the toasted pine nuts aside.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes, loosely chop the salad leaves and juice the lemon.
- Time to assemble the salad! In a large salad bowl place the cooked quinoa, roast veggies, salad leaves, cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, lemon juice, tamari and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the salad and you are ready to serve!
- Serve with a dollop of cashew hummus on top.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.