If you know me well, you would know that I am a salad fanatic. Atleast one of my meals everyday is a salad. But, every now and then I get a craving for a big bowl of pasta. That is when I discovered zucchini noodles! They are the light version of pasta, fresh and so much like spaghetti they leave your cravings satisfied, without the heavy, sluggish feeling after a big bowl of regular pasta. But what is pasta without a super delicious, yummy sauce? My Cashew Basil Pesto is full of flavour and super creamy, it goes perfectly well with this pasta dish! If you have already pre-made the pesto, this meal is so extremely quick to make. It is just a matter of throwing everything into a bowl! I tend to make a batch of Cashew Basil Pesto to add to my salads throughout the week, or to use as a dip for a quick, ready-to-go snack. You know what the best part is? This pasta is predominantly made up of zucchini, that means you can have double the amount of it compared to regular pasta! Raw Vegan Pesto Pasta is a blessing in disguise. Or should I say, “salad” in disguise.
Pasta craving – SOLVED!
CASHEW BASIL PESTO
- 3 cups Fresh Basil
- 1 cup Raw Cashews (soaked in water for 2-4 hours)
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Ground Pepper to taste
After draining and rinsing the soaked cashews, add all ingredients into a high powered food processor or blender. Blend until relatively smooth, scraping down sides occasionally. Serve up immediately, or can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
RAW VEGAN PESTO PASTA
- 3 Medium – large Zucchinis
- 2 Handfuls Spinach
- 2 Large handfuls Cherry Tomatoes halved
- Cashew Basil Pesto
- Optional toppings: Pine nuts, fresh basil, cherry tomatoes
- Chop off both ends of the zucchinis.
- Using a Spiraliser, transform the zucchinis into long noodles resembling spaghetti. Alternatively, you can use a vegetable peeler to create long flat noodles.
- Cut the noodles a few times to make sure they are not all just in one long strand.
- Transfer zucchini noodles into a large salad bowl along with the cherry tomatoes and spinach.
- Add the Cashew Basil Pesto and toss the salad together until everything is coated and combined.
- Transfer onto serving plates and top with pine nuts, fresh basil and cherry tomatoes.
- Serve immediately.